Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The 'Death' by Kagan


I’ve been looking a lot into philosophy lately.
‘Philosophy’ you might say – ‘what is up with that grown up shit?’.
Well, we all find interest in different things and after getting hooked up on the debate of religion I sort of took a short detour to the subject of philosophy – which, after all, is not very much unlike the former. Together, both subjects play a role in everybody’s life at some point.
For example, when was the last time you imagined death and your chest got all filled up by that dreadful feeling of unease and complete discomfort? Personally I remember that I used to do anything to avoid these kinds of thoughts, not too long ago.


Shelly Kagan during his lectures on the topic 'Death'.



As I think of it I had many periods, especially as a kid, when I found myself thinking about it while falling asleep and almost every time I ended up with a feeling difficult to translate into words. It was, and even to a certain degree today is, a quite uncomfortable issue to wrap my mind around. However, breaking it down help you see it from an interesting point of view.
The topic regarding ‘death’ is just a single fraction of the great philosophical questions raised but it’s a juicy one that I’ve recently been digging my teeth into.

So call it what you’d like but I’d bet you’d also get interested if you were to here out the lectures ‘Death’ by Shelly Kagan, Professor in Philosophy of Yale University. Not only is he a great character, sitting on the front desk with his legs crossed illustrating large questions with tiny schemes, but he is also an extremely great thinker. I don’t just say this because I share his ideas to at least 90% but rather because I think it does not matter whether you agree or not – you just can’t help but to get blasted away by what his and other philosopher minds are capable of stirring up.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J