Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A busy beginning

Fourth year has suddenly begun in a pace faster than what neither I, nor my colleagues, could ever anticipate. The first four courses, ranging from a week each, included Clinical Anatomy, Bioethics, Psychotherapy and Immunology - the latter still ongoing.
Additionally, Pharmacology just won't cut us some slack that easy and hang over our shoulders as a grim shadow and reminder of the final exam to come, with both practicals and lectures running simultaneously.

So, from "early" morning to late evening we've running between the weekly yawn-generating morning subject and the busy Clinical Anatomy dissections in the afternoon until about when both the hour and minute hand of the wrist watch point to six.
I think we all knew that the exams will be plentiful this year so mentally we settled with the idea of taking exams more or less every week. However, time is a precious resource and one have to spend it wisely in order to manage the exams in such short notice, especially when being used to have weeks for preparation as was the case in the second and third year. Using the time in between lectures is a good idea, and pushing oneself to go on reading after school and at weekends is paramount.
Fortunately for me anatomy comes easy, as I've repeated it during second year. This gave me some time to focus on the other topics, i.e. biomedical ethics and psychotherapy.
Unfortunately, to my big disappointment, these topics seems to be of rather low priority and judging after the event I think I spent too much time in proportion to the actual gain. A real shame indeed, as I believe ethics will be an important part of the future praxis.

Back to exams. When to take exams and general planning of one's studies is alwas a topic of discussion among us students. I figured that booking them as early as possible would be the way to go and it proved to work out well so far. Postponing only makes a student's life difficult, even thou doing so is tempting.

Semper Paratus, Scientia ac Labore, no procrastination

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J