Monday, July 4, 2011

The Blessings and Curses of SIS

When I first signed in to the SIS - the student information system of the school - I was impressed. The system seemed like an amazing way to keep track of all the bureaucracy regarding the University. This is where students can virtually go to the Professor's offices to claim exam terms, reflect upon courses and keep records of their grades etc.
It all worked well until today where an error was presented. I had but one fear when I entered this university; that failure would be not due to the lack of knowledge but due to the system. I have heard stories from persons where the system brought them into trouble and I believe this is what is going on for the students struck by this issue.

I had just finished Latin with a not so satisfying exam but with an all the more satisfying final grade and I have now only the final exam in Histology left to conquer.
Today was also the official release of the next exam period in the end of this month. 25 slots were increased to 40 and I understood that this will not be enough in comparison to the amount of students that wanted these terms.
Even if being ready minutes to 14:00, the official release time, the 40 slots was gone in a matter of seconds. Signing up for the term is more of a challenge than actually taking the exam.
The SIS-server somehow got overloaded and a lot of students were not equally able to "compete" for the terms, me among them.
This results in a postponing of the exam to early September, which I however do not find as the most disturbing part, but the fact that I will only have two attempts in total is a more unpleasant and unfair issue.
My intention is of course to conquer the credit in one attempt but if worst comes to worst not having as many attempts as other students makes it quite unequal, in my opinion. You might argue that we should have planned it better but I respond that this is just a grain in the heap.

There are too many students taking histology after anatomy, which I do not argue against, after all I planned my exams the same way. The number of students with histology left and the hope to make it in the month of July is too greatly outnumbering the amount of available slots. Given freedom to decide when to have your exams is a great tool - but only if the options are numerous enough. One choice is not freedom of decision - nor is two or three in this matter.
When there is not enough terms to grant every student three attempts, as policy states, there is something that doesn't add up.

Next term is released on the first of August with a capacity of 35 slots. I hope that this number increase because if not, the competition will look the same. And by taking in to account that a good 10-15% of the 40 that recently signed up might fail their attempt decreases the chances to win the "fastest connection get the sign up"-game even further.

I will continue my studies as planned and see what solution will be the best...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J