Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Greatest Show on Earth

Today I woke up (early) at 8 am and after a long search for something to eat for breakfast but I soon gave up, took a glass of water and went for grocery hunting. I usually go to Andel, a shopping mall across the river, and decided to do the regular base ware shopping.

It took me a while to get to the tram. The pleasant part was that I crossed paths with a good friend on her way to her Latin exam and the less pleasant part was that I discovered that I didn’t have coins for the tram ticket.
There Is obviously a revolution going on in the commuting traffic, something called “open card” is on its way and it is going to overtake the old “coin-for-ticket”-system. I also discovered that the price for the ticket option got increased, if just slightly. I believe that signing up for the open card is the next right thing to do.

After some walking I managed to change for some coins and got the ticket.
Shopping is fun, as always, but this time I kept the expenses down a bit. With my groceries packed in my rucksack I dashed for the tram but stopped as I saw the bookshop right next to the grocery store. I went inside for a quick look and to my surprise I found three out of a handful books that I’ve, for quite some time now, been searching for.

Two of them I have already “read”, or rather, listened to as audio books. Some people don’t count this as saying that one has actually read the book although to me it is all the same – the content doesn’t change so to speak. Well, I bought them because I admire the authors and would very much like to read it myself at least once.
I was surprised how low the prices were on non-fictional pocket books and I consider it well spent money.

One of them I have yet to read, and it sure looks promising. Richard Dawkins is an amazing author judging from his earlier books that I have read. The title caught my eye at the first glance:
The Greatest Show on Earth
I immediately understood that this was going to be another book dealing with Dawkins favourite thesis; that evolution is fact and not fiction.
During the short way home at the tram I managed to read a couple of pages and this sentence made me smile, especially after passing my Latin exam the other day.
With the risk of being taken out of context, I quote,:

“Yet you find your precious time continually preyed upon, and your class’s attention distracted, by a baying pack of ignoramuses (as a Latin scholar you would know better than to say ‘ignorami’) who, with strong political and especially financial support, scurry about tirelessly attempting to persuade your unfortunate pupils that the Romans never existed.”

This sentence alone shows how beautifully complex and sophisticated Dawkins writing is and his fine ability to compose the text so that it speaks directly to the reader – simply wonderful.

I will end this post by saying that it is post number 200 in this journal - have I really written that many..?


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J