Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I did well, what a relief

Just came home after a long day, Wednesdays are always busy from 8am until 4pm, and guess what? I did well on the anatomy test.

Our professor divided us into two groups, A and B, and wrote subjects for each group on the black board. The subjects were; scheme of bone blood supply (group A) and scheme of bone ossification and growth (group B). Also, both groups had to do a scheme of the hand.
While we were focused on drawing our schemes our tutor and his assistant went around quizzing us on the bones.
I got the ulna, placed it and told her about its features. When she understood that I knew it she moved on to the humerus, clavicle and finished off with the distinguishing of the carpal bones.
I got an A and went on with my schemes and it wasn't such a big hassle as I'd imagined it to be. Now I know how to study for the test next week.

We handed in the schemes and when I get it back next week I'll post it here for anyone that's interested.

Photobucket

The lesson went on with ligament studies. We took our lab coats on since this was the first time we had seen preserved tissue - which equals chemicals and messy tissue. Each group got a pair of shoulder joints, completely preserved with bone, tissue, ligament and muscle tendons. I'd love to post a descriptive image but since that interfere with ethics I'll Google you something similar instead: how about a link to a shoulder dissection picture?
And yes, before you click, I got to warn sensitive persons.
[Picture 1 - Shoulder Joint] [Picture 2 - Glenohumeral Joint Specified]

The experience of seeing, holding and smelling dissected specimens wasn't as gooey and disgusting as I'd first imagined. Sure the formaldehyde mixture, the preserving fluid, didn't smell like raspberries but I think I'll get used to it. I mean the fish factory back home smell a lot worse.
Having a whole cadaver later on in the dissections with all the tissues intact might be a complete different experience though - but that will have to wait for the time being.

I wish my colleges in the parallel groups good luck for their test tomorrow, hope you'll do great guys!

He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would accomplish much must sacrifice much...
- James Allen (1855-1942)



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Härligt Joh :) kul att det gick bra! Puss

    ReplyDelete

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J