Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting back into Routine

Photobucket

After a couple of days off, recharging my batteries just enjoying Prague with my parents, it was finally time to dig in again.
Next week is yet another busy one with two major tests in anatomy and histology.
Anatomy covers the spine and its ligaments as well as the abdomen and simultaneously we have lectures about the cranium which seems to be one of the heaviest subjects so far, apart from muscles that is.
Histology continues as scheduled with tissues of the body such as; connective tissue, cartilage, bone and muscle tissue.
This is the first big histology test and since anatomy have required so much time lately I think it’s of the essence to really sort the histo out and that’s why I pretty much have lived between the pages of my Gartner/Hiatt-book the last two days.
Regardless of the massive amount of text I have to live through, and even if it’s still just ‘simple’ tissues, I find the histology very interesting. The basic knowledge in cytology I acquired during the military and PreMed is a good base to lean back on and it is interesting to see how that knowledge gets more and fine tuned and detailed for every other page I turn.

Anatomy is rather ‘easy’ now compared to the muscle part and going back to learning bones feels rather awkward even if it’s necessary for the chapter. The spine is such a beautiful component and it’s truly amazing to see how the complex the structures are in order to promote motion that we take for granted.
It’s also interesting to see how evolution and the environmental parameters shape the organism and how it might evolve, or rather degenerate, in the future – mainly thinking about the coccyx.

I’ve been drawing a lot, complementary drawings to the one’s I recently posted, but I’ll publish them after the test on Wednesday.
Although I’m starting to wonder if I spend too much time on my drawings I very much appreciate the fact that by the time the drawing is finished I know the fragments by heart.
If you asks me to draw the sacrum or whatever part I’ve been drawing I pretty much know how to do it, quick version that is.
Another positive thing is that it’s really relaxing and stimulating, not as reading which I of course find necessary but oh so boring. I believe that using all parts of brain during learning is the way to go.

Today I went on a shopping spree to get my mind off the books and came home with a new set of clothes.
After an hour of effective shopping I sat down on a bench in the avenue to read some anatomy but hunger forced me to go home and cook. I showed my new findings to my fashion expert Jeanine – she liked it but got disappointed that I didn’t bring her along (of course we still have to go).
It’s sort of funny how the book always are next to me; while cooking and eating and I even found myself bringing it with me to the bathroom. Call it madness if you’d like.


Photobucket

Jeanine and Thomas were preparing to go to the famous library and I thought that I might as well tag along to see what it’s like.
No luck there - I didn’t even get in because you had to register and I didn’t bring my passport (obviously my EU-registered driving license wasn’t good enough) - so I just went back home again.

Later I met up with Mathilde for some histology revision which helped me a lot, she really knows the stuff and take awesome notes. Apparently her teacher is a lot more detailed than mine but what would you expect from the head of Histology? There’s always pros and cons thou, pros and cons…

Oh, now I’ve been writing way too much and I’m glad if I was able to keep you reading for this long.

Stay tuned and remember to smile,
until next update - have a good one…



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J