Thursday, November 25, 2010

Test number 4 and 2

Just came home from the histology seminar with half a smile, half a grin.
The histology test covering tissues (except nervous tissue) turned out to be a good one, I was rather lucky with the questions that suited me just fine and I hardly believe that I'm going to fail.
Dr. Becke usually gives the answers to the test questions once the test is handed in which I find a both a bit disturbing as well as a relief - guess I'm a bit 'split minded' today.
Of course it makes you know if you're way off and have to restudy the whole chapter but it can also give a certain relief because you can pretty much tell if you passed or not.
To me it only inflicted anxiety, especially since I found out that I wasn't far from a top result but that I made those stupid mistakes that stopped me from reaching it.
I believe that when you set high aims and the lack of knowledge lets you down it's fine - then it means you didn't study enough and you probably should lower your bar. On the other hand, finding out that small mistakes, not related to lack of knowledge but rather the disorientation of the knowledge, makes me so irritated.
Call it a small problem, vanity or whatever you'll find fitting, I know passing is what matters for now.



The anatomy test yesterday on the axial skeleton and its ligaments was our second slide test and I must admit that I was shit scared of what might pop up on the slides. There's no way you can know what pictures are going to be in the test, all you can do is to prepare as well as you can, studying the material from different atlases and whatever pictures you can find on the internet.
X-ray photos and CT-scans might show up as well and those are the trickiest ones. I think you can imagine that distinguishing processes and tubercles from one another in different opacities of shadow gray are rather difficult and the only way to get better at it is to study them thoroughly.

This test also turned out rather good and afterwards I felt satisfied with my answers. We got the result back from the last tests cross section and since I know I left out some details the result was to my surprise very good.

Studying is exhausting and I try to put sleep as a top priority - and you should know that sleep is a luxury article around here - and the fact that I've been able to plan my studies so that they won't conflict with it makes me happy (and thoroughly rested of course).
The study schedule is like a roller coaster stretching over one or two weeks. In the middle of the week the introduction gives me a hint of what to study. Then I settle down and start reading on my own, alternating subjects if I have more than one test. In the end of the weekend I tend to increase the study pace and I finish off with a good night sleep right before the test. After the test there's finally some resting before hitting the next wall forcing you to increase the pace once again.

Photobucket
Studying histology while Nina and Jeanine are going over the back muscles, books all over the place...

Next week is 'language week' with tests in both Latin and Czech and simultaneously I have to learn the basics of the skull as well as keep the histology studies up - although I can do this in my own pace it still means that I'm in for yet another rather hectic weekend...

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J