Monday, November 1, 2010

Paradoxes

Photobucket

I love paradoxes.
Here is one about "chance" by the Swedish/Greek author Theodor Kallifatides:

What is “chance”? And where is it?
What if I randomly pick up two stones from the ground,
take one of them and put it back on the ground a few meters in front of me.
Then I take the one that’s left in my palm and
aim a throw for the stone on the ground.
I get a clean hit!

Is that hit just by chance?
I’d say partially yes, partially no.
“Why is that?” you might ask.
The answer is simply:
“Because I could just as well have missed it".

If I pick up the stone again,
close my eyes, turn around and throws it backwards
towards the stone on the ground.
I miss.

Now, is that miss just by chance?
The answer is “no”, but why?
Since I didn’t aim for it.
Though, if it would have been a hit,
it would for sure be by chance.

Sometimes it’s by chance and sometimes it is not.
The conclusion is that chance is not present by itself –
it’s only present simultaneously with something else.
It’s a bigger chance to get a hit without aiming,
hence the smaller chance if I get a hit with an aimed throw.

I need two stones, one to throw and one to aim for,
thus the fact that without stones and the will to get
a hit the random hit cannot occur.
 
In other words,
chance is the relation between reality and my will to change it.
The reality is in control, my will chance the focus – but the chance decide.

I can’t eliminate chance as long as the reality and my will aren’t identical...

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J