Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Switching devices

My dad decided to buy a new portable PC, smaller than the one he already got and since he's such a great father he donated his Dell XPS laptop for the greater good - by other words to me.
My old laptop was pretty much looking like a battered warrior coming home from the great war - with an amputated optical drive, a shell shocked battery, a scarred wide-screen display and some missing screws.
It did its task fine thou, serving me through a lot of photoshopping, gaming and web surfing, all the way.
When it was first released the good 'ol HP Pavilion was a dominating model, full scale Pentium 3 core with just as many fans to support the exaggerated production of heat. At one point it was as if the fans would made it fly off the desk. Not to speak about the humongous DC-adapter rather referred to as "the Nuclear Plant".
Observe that this is not an act of depression over how bad the laptop was, the other way around, more as describing it with words well suited for a PC of its class giving it a medal of honour for sticking with me when other electric devices tend to give up.


I didn't have high hopes of the Dell XPS m1330 until I read the specs:
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo T7300
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
180GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
128MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8400M GS
Double 6- and 9- cell battery

For being almost two years old is a pretty strong little fellow. The only let down is the 128MB graphics, 256 would be preferred today with all the awesome games coming out but I surprisingly found out that C.O.D MW2 ran without any graphic issues(!), still running on 1024x756px with lowest detail but that's always something to begin with. The low details set usually means that I'm faster than the other players that run their game with full resolution. Pros and cons, baby.

Yesterday was another late return to Stockholm. The train was running about two hours late but I saw it coming. I booked an earlier train this time, and my marginal until the class started was about four hours.
At first the train didn't leave the platform and it took the staff half an hour to repair a broken connection between the cabins. Furthermore halfway to Stockholm the train locomotive broke down, leaving us in the middle of nowhere for about another half an hour. At last when we thought that they'd have fixed the problem the train ran into a rail connection fail.
In total we were two hours late so I spent the time well playing some COD, made study notes and repeated some material.

Another week of chemistry I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J