Monday, September 20, 2010

Beware of the Land Mines!

Yesterday started off great, I forced myself out of the bed and dressed up for running. I haven't brought any training cloths yet so a well used tank top and my only hoodie (quite cold outside I must admit) as well as my shorts had to do.
I ran up to the University area, or rather the hospital complex of castles and ancient buildings, and found myself folded in two over one of the many benches on the height. The small road up to the height, with a good view over the city, contained a lot of stairs, steep asphalt and after that a great many more of the stairs.
Being totally pinned down by the stairs on one of the  greatest views in Prague wasn't all that bad though. Eventually it also led me to one of my aims this Sunday; to find the hotel where my parents are staying when they arrive at Friday next week.

After forty minutes of sweating, five minutes of cold showering and another five for breakfast on the go I went down to Alex's Bistro, that is sort of becoming my favourite place - nor for the included Wi-Fi, nor for the beer, but for the good food they serve.
Since I was full from the bread, that I bought earlier when I got back from my sprint in the University Park, I just had a beer and got connected to the Internet. The manager, Alex I assume, came with the beer and had a chat with me paying a lot of interest and spending time to actually talk (English!) to the customers - something I find rather exclusive here.

After an hour and a half I met up with Jean and Jax at the apartment and we went up to Václavscé Námêstí which is the big avenue at the National Museum. There we looked for a sushi place and found one in the backstreet of one of the greatest back alleys I've ever seen. The prices were obviously set according to the location and we decided that paying 120,- CZK for one piece of nori maki (though it was made really fancy, nothing like I've ever seen on a sushi plate) and for the 8 piece menu charging 380,- CZK was a bit too much and my crave for sushi pretty much oozed off.

Photobucket

Instead we walked around, found some interesting shops and ended up at a small Chinese restaurant a bit off the square. The prices here were really good and so was the food, even if they actually used the frozen packs of vegetables in my fried rice with chicken (double plate á 400g, YAY!).
Jackie's and Jean's plates were also overloaded with food - hence the swollen stomachs and the kind of long wait after we'd finished almost everything.


To keep it short we got home, got ourselves ready (after Jeanine's splendid gift of persuasion) for pre party at the guys apartments, aka. the Bachelor Attic, went there and had a blast introducing them to the drinking game Land Mines.
Land Mines, for you that haven't came across Dave's game of beer drinking madness, should know that in this game you need to be good at three things: spinning coins, force beer down your throat and at last to come up with a good landmine tactic during the first round.

Photobucket

I took the liberty to invite two other Swedish students over, that went to the PreMed course before ours, and they seemed to be relieved to talk to other Swedes. We had a good time and the ladies wanted to go to a Jazz club they had been to the other day. I don't say no to Jazz and we got going there. It happened to be that they lived close to both of our apartments, at Zitná Street just around the corner from us. Unfortunately it was Sunday and I think we have to be prepared that people in Prague are doing the complete opposite of working these days.

Photobucket

The Jazz club was closed so we called it a day and me and Jackie went home and the guys still had some party mood going and went further into the night.


Today's a new day and since I'm not hung over at all, thanks to drinking a lot of water, I'll go out for another battle with the stairs at the University Park.


Spin it carefully my friend; there are Land Mines all over the table...


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J