Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Breif Summary

Now where shall I begin...
A lot happened since the last time I wrote so let’s just begin in a chronological manner, shall we?

Right after I passed the test in Stockholm and got accepted to the first faculty of Charles University in Prague we had a major graduation party. We celebrated all night long and the day after that, with a head heavier than one of the great rocks of the Stonehenge, I began my trip back home to my parents house.
One good thing often brings a bad thing with it – so it seems. Me and Caroline decided to walk separated paths. The fact of me leaving and spending so much time away finally wore us down. Sad as it is, we get along really well and in this very instant as I write this summary I’m actually travelling to her place in Finspång to see her before I leave Sweden.
With that said I can continue with the story. The (new) Harbour Captain down at the docks wanted me to work for yet another summer and I gladly accepted. I spent a great deal of time there but with all the perks, such as meeting new people, speaking both English and German as well as being out in the sun all day long, the time summer seems to fly by in an instant.
Simultaneously along with work, sunbathing, scuba diving, cold beer, BBQ and jet ski madness, I slowly began to plan the autumn and the continuation of my upcoming adventure – and believe me – there are a great number of things needed to be sorted out. Of course you can just leave things to chance and hope the problems get solved once they appear but hey, that’s not how I do things.
I believe that being properly prepared and thoroughly “self-scheduled” saves you a great deal of effort, stress and energy as well as time and money. I, Jackie and Jeanine already had plans to move in together in Prague.

Jackie and her fiancé Kristian was about to make a Eurotrip through Germany, Czech Republic and Poland with a planned stop in Prague. I booked a flight to Prague via Frankfurt in order to join them and look for apartments. During the first day, alone as I was waiting for Jackie and Kristian, I roamed the streets of Prague and was absolutely amazed by the old buildings with its facades and gargoyles as well as its radiation of almost ancient atmosphere. Just take a look at this building that in fact is the Centre of Gynaecology of the 1st Faculty.

Centre of Gynaecology of the 1st Faculty

Here's a bunch of other photos I took. Enjoy!



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheers!


Worth mentioning is that this was my first visit in Prague and after some trouble I managed to get a pretty good grip of the city map. The public transportations are also really smooth, the tram runs at all time and with short intervals.
The trip lasted for about a week, unfortunately Jeanine was busy working back home in Oslo, but with her assurance and belief in us finding the right place to live we managed to find a flat – and not just any flat – probably the best flat in Prague. Cheers to that!

Cheers!

Our criteria were absolute; three separate bedrooms, good location to the school and centre along with a nice and comfy first impression.

Of the ten apartments we found at the Czech website homesweethome[dot]cz we were shown four different apartments around Prague that was available by a broker, that in fact was a really nice chap. Saying the others weren’t available is a lie, it seemed as if the landlords and landladies of some of the apartments, which would suit us really good, had bad experiences with students in the past hence the low number of flats “available” for us.

Photobucket

The one we decided to rent was a really bright and spacious flat close to 100sqm. It was recently completely renovated and the layout was really great – maybe not fantastic by itself – but rather so, compared with the other apartments we were shown.

The rent is 18000CZK which is pretty close to 7800SEK. Divided among the three of us we’ll pay a monthly rent of 2800SEK each which I guess is really good for a flat this spacious.
Though, it’s unfurnished, compared to the other apartments that we looked at, the location of this one is just splendid. It’s actually on the same street as the University reception. Since it’s so close to other areas such as the campus, the gym and even the centre of old Prague we can save a lot of time that we otherwise had to spend on the go. Instead that precious time can be used for studying.

I really do believe that this is going to be quite an adventure – an adventure that I’m looking forward to accomplish, so make sure to stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About to publish a thought, comment or feedback?
Remember to fill in your email address for a quick response - if this is left out, You will have to keep track of my answer in comment form at the post you originally commented on. //Tom J